This introductory course, designed specifically for law enforcement, will provide line officers, mid-level supervisors and executive leadership with the information they need to understand the cyber security domain and it’s associated terminology. This course has no pre-requisites and prior education in cyber security is not required. Topics presented in this course include:
- Definitions of key terms and concepts in the field of cyber security;
- Open source intelligence collection (OSINT) – what resources and techniques are available to law enforcement
- Introduction of concepts like malware, ransomware, viruses, trojans, network security, cryptography, identity theft and risk management;
- Overview of the dark web and the implications for law enforcement
- Networking and communications: fundamentals, security challenges and standards;
- Network security: firewalls, virtual private networks, intrusion detection / prevention;
- Authentication: access control, passwords, two-factor authentication;
- End user training requirements – why the human element remains the greatest vulnerability;
- Properly asses and improve cyber risk posture in real computing, networking and software systems;
- Identification of the threat landscape to include current threat actors and their motivations;
- An overview of social media and how it can be leveraged by law enforcement agencies;
- The role of Fusion Centers in supporting cyber security;
The class will also include a discussion of cyber security best practices and emphasize the importance of promoting good cyber-hygiene within your organization.
This class is recommended for Deputies
Location: Marion County Sheriff's Office Training Academy
901 Post Road
Indianapolis, Indiana 46219
Cost: Special Introductory Price $150.00 (Continental Breakfast and Lunch included)
When: 5/31/2018 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Click on Register Myself and Create an Account or login using your NSA or Global Society username and password.
Click here for more information regarding the Institute for Cyber Security .